OpenCERT Canada is Canada’s first open national CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team) which providing services to Canadians. The goal of OpenCERT Canada is to provide information security based services to aid Canadian based organisations and citizens to better secure their information technology facilities and services in accordance with industry recognized standards and compliance requirements, to provide high quality research services on current and potential information security threats, to provide information security prevention, response and mitigation strategies and to become a recognised centre of information security excellence among peer national and international organisations.
The purpose of the OpenCERT is, first, to provide Canadians and Canadian organizations advice in implementing proactive measures to reduce the risks of computer security incidents, and second, to act as a coordination point for Canadians and Canadian organizations in responding to such incidents when they occur.
All OpenCERT Canada services are provided free of charge; OpenCERT Canada is a not-for-profit organization staffed by volunteers.
- Incident Coordination: OpenCERT Canada will provide coordination of incident response between various CSIRTs, incident reporters and network operators.
- Alerting: OpenCERT Canada will operate mailing lists to inform security contacts of new information relevant to their computing environments. These lists will be available to any subscriber.
- Community education: OpenCERT Canada will publish articles and training materials on computer security related topics.
How you can help:
- We are in the process of of gathering volunteers who would like to help out with this endeavour – let us know who you are and what you’d like to do.
- If you’d like to sponsor the activities of the group – with full transparency into how your funds are spent – let us know.